Tuesday, September 23, 2008

TWD: Dimply Plum Cake

This week's recipe was chosen by Michelle of Bake-en. You can find the recipe oh her site.

I have to say that I was really, really looking forward to this cake. I followed the directions perfectly, though my plums were a tiny bit large so I needed fewer of them.


I mixed and poured. I baked and tested. The knife came out clean. Time to cool... 15 minutes later, I unmolded and flipped onto a cooling rack to finish cooling.


About 20 minutes later, I see that there is GOO underneath my cooling rack. I investigate and realize that my entire cake middle has goo'd out of the cake! It was totally raw in the center!!! WTH?!


I double checked all the steps, oven temp, etc and cannot figure out what I did wrong. I was so disappointed as the properly cooked corner tasted delicious and the plums were probably the best I've ever tasted.

What could I have done wrong? :( Here are the pics for your inspection.

before the oven


golden and delicious looking

mmmmm
boo! it's goo!
The only underneath photo I could get before being attacked by goo.

Boo. I hate wasting food, especially nearly $10 in plums! (I did eat some of the baked plums but they were a bit weird with out the cake).

Go check out the other TWD bakers and see how they fared this week.

13 comments:

CB said...

aaaaww goo aint cool. Me sorry for your gooey dimply cake. I know some other TWD bakers baked theirs for longer than 40 minutes. Maybe it has something do with with the size of the fruit? I hate wasting food too. Ah well. You win some you lose some, right? It looked purdy in the "before" picture. :)
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Oh, I'm so sorry about the way your cake turned to goo. I did a lot of "digging" to see if mine was done. I think I may have tented it to keep from browning and I always cook with a lower oven temp for longer time. That might help it bake through. Also, I wonder if my metal pan helped? When I made my second one in a pottery pan it seemed to not cook through as much? Darn, your plums did look perfect.
Nancy

Anonymous said...

goo happened to SO many of us! mine was perfectly done in almost all places, but really gooey underneath the plums, which was gross. what a disappointment that must have been!

Engineer Baker said...

Oh no! I know lots of people had the same problem as you - all I can think is that maybe your fruit was so ripe it made things a bit too juicy. Maybe pre-cooking it and getting some of that moisture would help?

kimberly salem said...

sorry about the goo :( mine was ok, but i baked it in a metal pan, i wonder if that would make a difference?

Anonymous said...

I ended up slicing the plums because other people were reporting the raw goo!

Nikki57 said...

Bummer! I used apples and ended up cooking mine for less time. Like one of the other commenters said it was prob due to the juicy plumbs

Anonymous said...

I don't know what could have gone wrong -- mine was, if anything, too dry in the middle, although by the next day it was delicious. I'm so sorry you lost all that potential yumminess!

Unknown said...

I had read that some of the other TWD bakers had this problem so I overbaked my cake just a bit to make sure my center was done. Sorry this one didn't work out for you. It looked good though!

Rachel said...

Oh no! I ended up baking mine much longer than recommended because it was still gooey in the center. I just joined TWD and I love your blog!

Bungalow Barbara said...

I baked mine longer because it didn't seem done, and then the cake was dry. Sigh. You're not the only one who had problems, seems like it hard to get this cake to be baked "just right."

KellyAnn said...

love your blog! i'm also a newlywed who bakes and cakes. Can't wait to read more about your cooking adventures!

Unknown said...

Sorry about your cake. Love the "Boo"! I am not a fan of "hot fruit". So, I ducked out this week! Love your blog. Stop by and say "hi!" if you have a chance!!