Sunday, October 21, 2007

Amazing Tacos!!

Everyone who receives email from me knows that I love exclamation points. I do. I love them. But, I rarely use two in a row and NEVER with regard to a recipe. But today, I made some freaking amazing tacos. I can't take much credit other than following the recipe perfectly and choosing a damn good avocado.

My friend Laura makes the best tacos, ever and my husband thanks her a zillion times for sharing this recipe with me.

This recipe takes 4.5 hours to make and it is worth it. Can you tell I love these tacos?

OK - here goes

Shredded Beef Tacos
3lb bone in beef chuck roast (or boneless if you can't find bone in)

Boil the roast in a big pot. Use as much water as will fit and leave room for boiling. Cover and let the roast boil for 2.5 to 3 hours. You can flip it over periodically. Don't worry if the water boils down some.

After boiling, let the meat cool and then shred it. It should yield at least 3 cups of shredded beef. In a really big skillet or big pot, brown the shredded beef in 3 T of oil (I used olive oil).

Add the following:
1 medium onion, chopped
3 gloves of garlic, crushed

When the onion is limp, add:

1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp salt (to taste)
1 tsp pepper (to taste)
16oz of crushed tomatoes

Cook (uncovered) for 30 minutes or longer over medium to medium low heat. Do not let the meat dry out. Add water from the boiled water or additional tomatoes as needed so the meat doesn't dry out.

For the shells, I used corn tortillas and cooked them for just a few seconds in a little oil in a separate skillet. I added cheese and avocado to mine. The hubs also added lettuce. They were so good.

The hubs gave them two thumbs up and said they were "restaurant quality." How cool is that? It made my 4 hours of cooking worth it!



3 comments:

CB said...

4.5 hours!?!? OMG. and I thought my 2 hour gnocchi was too long. Those better be some DAMN good tacos! Post pic ASAP! :)

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

You make me want to try those because I feel like my husband will love me forever!

Rachel said...

NATALIE- He already does, silly! But, these tacos are really worth the effort and the meat freezes really well. Do it!