Sunday, October 14, 2007

Chocolate Mousse Cupcakes


Sorry it has been a while since I posted anything. For some reason, the cookie settings on my computer would not let me log in. So frustrating! I still can't view the comments so hopefully no one is posting anything nasty. Or maybe they are... ::wink::

OK - now for the good stuff...

I made these tasty treats for my friend Aly's birthday. We work together and I took them to the office and gave them to her in my cupcake carrier. (Love it!) I told her that she could do as she wished with them. Luckily, she shared with me!

This recipe makes 12 tall cupcakes. It is adapted from Cupcakes! by Elinor Klivans. I used her recipes for the mousse and frosting but cheated and used a chocolate cake mix for the cupcakes. (Hey! I like to make my life a little easier, now and then.)
For some reason, when I made this recipe, I had batter left over and made a couple extra cupcakes. I had just enough mouse and frosting left to spruce up one. I gave it the hubs and he loved it. That's a big thumbs up since he's not a huge chocolate fan. These babies take a while to make but damn, they are good.

Cupcakes:
Prepare and bake the cake mix as directed on the box with one exception. Fill the paper cupcake liners with 1/3 cup of batter. It will nearly completely fill the paper cup. This will ensure the cupcakes will bake up with really tall tops. I was worried I may have to add baking time to the cupcakes but the box times worked fine.

Once the cupcakes are baked put them on a wire rack to cool and start preparing the chocolate frosting/mousse.

Frosting:
Make the chocolate sauce.

Chocolate sauce:
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 2 pieces
9 ounces (1 1/2 cups) semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a medium saucepan, heat the cream and butter over low heat until the cream is hot and the butter has melted. The mixture should form tiny bubbles and measure 175 F on a thermometer; do not let it boil. Remove the pan from the heat, add the chocolate chips, and let them sit in the hot cream for 30 seconds to soften. Add the vanilla and whisk the sauce until it is smooth and all of the chocolate has melted.

To frost, take half the sauce and let it sit at room temperature to thicken. Once it is at the desired consistency, (thick but easy to spread) use it to frost the cooled cupcakes.

Once the cupcake are frosted, you a sharp knife to cut off the tops of the cakes and set the aside.

Mousse:
Remaining chocolate sauce (at room temperature but pourable)
1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 teaspoon instant coffee granules

Make the filling. Put the chocolate sauce in a large bowl; set aside. In another large bowl, using an electric mixer on low speed, beat the cream, powdered sugar, and coffee granules until the coffee dissolves, about 1 minute. Beat on medium-high speed until firm peaks form. Whisk about 1 cup of the whipped cream into the chocolate sauce until no white streaks remain. Use a rubber spatula to fold in the remaining whipped cream. Using an ice cream scoop or large spoon, place a scoop of mousse on each cupcake bottom. Using a wide metal spatula, carefully place the cupcake tops on top of the mousse. Refrigerate to firm the chocolate frosting, then cover and keep refrigerated. Serve cold.

These cupcakes can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.

0 comments: