Monday, June 2, 2008

TWD - French Brownies


I'm not quite sure what makes these brownies French. It could be that they are supposed to have rum soaked and flambeed raisins in them. Or it could be that they are super rich or it could just be that Dorie invented them and decided they were French. (They certainly aren't wearing berets!) However, you could tell me that these brownies were Arkansas and I'd still love 'em. (People originally from Texas make fun of Arkansas folk. It's the law, so don't get mad at me!)


I will say, I'm over raisins and subbed dried cherries instead. I also skipped the rum. Well, I didn't skip it but let's just say it didn't end up in the brownies. ;)

All went just as planned. Even my brownies were cracklemania on top, like most everyone else.
The dried cherries were a huge hit. Hubs coworkers said the brownies were "amazing" and the cherries were a "yummy surprise." Though they ate then with out the homemade whipped cream. But, I think the cream added just a little something extra.

Open wide!

Head on over to Tuesdays with Dorie and see how all the other Frenchies fared this week! Thanks to Di for choosing this week. Head over to her blog for the recipe or to show her some love.

Happy Tuesday, ya'll!

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dried cherries sound great - better than raisins, actually.

And I like your thinking about the rum. ;)

Engineer Baker said...

As long as the rum is "used" during the baking process, it counts, right?

Katrina said...

the cherries sound delicious! Those look great.

Anonymous said...

Great touch with the whipped cream. I bet it was delicious.

Amy said...

Your brownies look great.

April said...

I'll ditto everyone else, dried cherries too sound delicious!

Anne said...

Looks so good with the cream on top, yum!

CB said...

You are such an alky! HAHA! Love that last picture. I swear my mouth opened spontaneously without my control. Too bad it was such a tease... ;)
Clara @ I♥food4thought

Nikki57 said...

In the future please be advised that brownies should always be topped with ice cream. Whipped cream is just a cop out :P

Unknown said...

I've never put whipped cream on a brownie, but I might have to start!

Anonymous said...

It's the sexiness that makes them French. Either that, or that they easilly crumble in the hands of the enemey?

CB said...

PS. omg that youtube video is hilarious! T fuggen loves that song b/c its so ridix. HAHA!

Mari said...

I'll have mine with whipped cream thanks!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm. Cherries, chocolate, whipped cream, and rum? Well, I guess you had me at rum. ;)

Melissa said...

Cracklemania is a good description!

Jaime said...

looks great! i enjoyed the cherries as well

Anonymous said...

Very nicely photographed and they look like they tasted as good as they looked. The whip cream makes them really look decadent, too.

Jacque said...

I did cherries too and they were yummy, I agree!

noskos said...

Job well done, they look great!

Gretchen Noelle said...

Very nice job!

Anonymous said...

How cute!

ostwestwind said...

For a European like me rum, raisins and cinnamon don't sound French to me, more Caribbean ;-)

Your brownies look beautiful

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

Love the cherry substitution. Great job!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Anonymous said...

Nice photos. Yes, "French Brownies" is kind of a silly name. Nothing much French about them except that Dorie made them in Paris.

Anonymous said...

Great idea to subsitute the raisins with cherries!

Sharon said...

It looks fabulous, love the fresh berrie sitting on the cloud of Whipped cream.

Susie Homemaker said...

funny - here in VA we make fun of WV - and I'm FROM WV! Oh well, good to know that you are kind enough to love something that could have been from Arkanasas. I look forward to your Texas tarts next week!